From the Archives: New Year, New Finished Projects! - Published January 8, 2016
Happy New Year! We hope you had a wonderful holiday season and are ready for 2016!
This year, I am going to be participating in the 2016 Finish-A-Long, which is being hosted by a number of blogs. I found out about it through Debbie at A Quilter's Table and I'm excited! Each quarter, you decide what projects you want to try to finish and post them to one of the participating blogs. Then at the end of the quarter you post what you've finished. You can win prizes which is definitely cool, but mostly I'm excited about the prospect of finishing some things! I do better when I have a to-do list, so hopefully this will help.
Here's my first quarter list of things to try to finish:
1. First up, I need to finish these baby quilts! My friends Lee and Amy had twin boys in December and those babies need quilts! The tops are almost done, so they shouldn't take too much longer.
2. Next up, this nine-patch quilt has been done since September and just needs a binding! I think I can handle that.
3. After the first two projects, the order I finish the rest in isn't too important, but I would LOVE to cross this one off my list! All I need to do is finish hand-sewing the binding to the back - it's already about 2/3 done so why I haven't finished it yet is beyond me! I do not love sewing binding, I'll admit. But this quilt is from the FIRST release of Gypsy Caravan by Amy Butler, so I've had it a long time.
4. Here's something that doesn't have too much more to do, but I've had a hard time making decisions. It will be a mini-quilt using some blocks from Elizabeth Hartman's Patchwork City book. I took her class at QuiltCon in 2015 and we made three blocks. I'm about halfway done with the last one but I keep changing my mind about what fabrics to use. Time to get it done!
5. Who didn't get caught up in the Staple Dress craze?! I have seen so many cute ones and knew I wanted to give it a try. I got as far as the elasticized waistband and then I had trouble so I decided to focus on other things. But it's pretty silly to have an almost-finished dress around, especially when it's in this awesome octopus lawn by Cotton + Steel. I am going to figure out a different way to do the waistband and then finish the bottom hem and that's it!
6. Finally, here's one of the many quilt tops I have just waiting to be quilted. Awhile ago I bought the Hex and More ruler by Jaybird Quilts and decided to try out some different triangle ideas. I used all fabrics from my stash and made this top. It isn't for anything in particular but it would be great for quilting practice, so I hope to get to it!
That's it for now! We'll see how I do. If you're interested in joining the Finish-A-Long, they have a Facebook page you can join.
Good luck on your projects!