From the Archives: 2016 Finish-A-Long Quarter 1 Update! Published April 1, 2016
Hi everyone! WAY BACK in January, I posted a list of projects I was going to attempt to finish by the end of March. Before I get to the finished projects I have to apologize for being really bad about moderating comments on our blog! Four very kind people commented on that post and I just now approved them. So thank you for commenting and I appreciate your patience! Sometimes we get a little behind on our blog at Quilt Sandwich Head Quarters. (And by "we" I mean "me").
Okay, so here's what I've got!
First, I really wanted to finish a throw I was making with Denyse Schmidt nine-patches and Essex Linen. Here's the "Before" picture.
Not to pat myself on the back too much, but I'm happy to say that the binding I chose turned out AWESOME. You can see a bit of it in some of the nine patches, it's the acid-green, black, and white stripey one. It is set off really nicely by the charcoal gray linen. Here's the finished quilt!
I'm really happy with how this turned out and I'm enjoying having it on my red couch!
Another project I was really hoping to finish was two baby quilts for friends of mine who had twins in December. I used a charm pack of Katie Jump Rope by Denyse Schmidt, and then paired the squares with a tan chambray for one quilt and a blue chambray for the other. I made basic half-square triangle blocks and I had a lot of fun arranging them. The HST is starting to become one of my favorite blocks. You can do so much with them!
I had most of the tops finished, but to make them a little bigger I needed to add a border and then quilt and bind them. Here they are!
I really love them! In retrospect they could probably be a little bigger because the babies are growing, but I think they'll work out. I really love all the layout ideas for half-square triangles (if you need inspiration, just Google "half-square triangle quilt" and you'll find tons of ideas!). I did an all-over free-motion stipple pattern for the quilting on both of them, just to keep it simple. I matched the thread to the chambray on each quilt. I haven't given them to the babies yet, but I hope little Lewis and Elliot like them! (They are the cutest!)
So, that's all I finished, but I did actually start and finish another baby quilt, plus Kris and I have been embarking on garment sewing, which I will blog about soon! Also, I had a quilt that I was almost finished with the binding on, and I am SO CLOSE to finishing that one. I thought I had it done and then I realized some of the binding I had sewn on long ago had come undone so now there's that to do. D'oh!
Stay tuned for my Finish-A-Long Quarter 2 project list! The quilt with the binding issues will definitely be on it.
Thanks for reading and happy sewing!